Day Four: February 6, on Black History Month
In honor of Black History Month, I am recommending the following five texts on Caribbean History:
- “The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L’Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution” by C. L. R. James
- “The Caribbean: The Genesis of a Fragmented Nationalism” by Franklin W. Knight
- “From Columbus to Castro: The History of the Caribbean, 1492-1969” by Eric Williams
- “Holding Aloft the Banner of Ethiopia: Caribbean Radicalism in Early Twentieth-Century America” by Winston James
- “Caribbean Freedom: Economy and Society to the Present” by Hilary Beckles and Verene Shepherd
*** Every day is Black History Month.
Every day we celebrate human beings created in the image of God.
Every day we celebrate the gift of life and the gift of black life because black people and all people MATTER to God.