Day Five: February 7, on Black History Month
In honor of Black History Month, I am recommending the following five texts on Afro-Latin American History:
- “Slave and Citizen: The Negro in the Americas” by Frank Tannenbaum
- “Cuban Counterpoint: Tobacco and Sugar” by Fernando Ortiz
- “The African Experience in Spanish America” by Jr. Leslie B. Rout, Jr.
- “Afro-Latin America, 1800-2000″ by George Reid Andrews”
- “The Afro-Latin@ Reader: History and Culture in the United States” edited by Miriam Jiménez Román and Juan Flores
*** Every day is Black History Month.
Every day we celebrate human beings created in the image of God.
Every day we celebrate the gift of life and the gift of black life because black people and all people MATTER to God.