10 Things Blacks and African American People Want in this Country: History and Ancestral (African) Identity:
- Blacks and African American people do not want to hear from White people that slavery and colonization belong to past history. Therefore, let’s not talk about them today. Black people are still shouting today that slavery and colonization have robbed their ancestors of their dignity, humanity, and economic resources. Somewhat, all of us are connected to our ancestors and their heritage.
- They believe that chattel and economic slavery and colonization have contributed enormously to their contemporary economic conditions, sufferings, and their ongoing struggle for freedom, economic justice, and rights in the United States and elsewhere in the Western world. They’re not asking for self pitty, but to be understood and to help escape this devastating predicament.
- They do not want to hear from Christians and Evangelicals that their ancestral (African) traditions such as African traditional spirituality and religion do not matter and are inferior to Christianity or other religions in the world (i.e. Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism)
- They do not want to hear from Evangelical Christians that their only choice of religion is Christianity.
- They want White people to show that they’re really concerned about black lives and well-being, not just through mere words, but also through their actions.
- They want the American government and agents of the State to treat them like human beings, American citizens, and regard them as a people with dignity and a future.
- They want the American government and agents of the State to stop showing favoritism and preference to White Citizens. That is what they mean by equality and equal citizenship.
- They want to live in peace, work in peace, and enjoy friendship and their families in peace. They just want shalom and unity, and be able to relax in this country.
- They want the American government and White people to acknowledge their equal contributions to the American nation and not to erase their history and achievements in this country.
- Blacks and African American people want the Police system, the Judicial system, and Prison system to be for them, and not against them. They want equal treatment from these systems as it is for white citizens and non-white citizens in this country.
*** This post or these ten points are also based on a survey that I conducted back in June this year on various social media platforms; here is the original question:
“What are some common (good and plausible) reasons why some Black people (both in the past and the present) reject/rejected Christianity?”
The question below was the follow-up question:
What are some areas in (American) Christianity and christian practices and beliefs (in America) that are outdated and need to be changed, modified, and altogether eliminated so that (American) Christianity could be relevant in contemporary society and of practical value and worth to everyone, especially the racialized and marginalized populations, and the economically-disadvantaged groups?