Day Ten: February 14, on Black History Month
In honor of Black History Month, I am recommending the following five texts on African Church History (“African Christianity”) and five texts on Caribbean Church History (“Caribbean Christianity”)
A. African Church History (“African Christianity”)
- “A History of Christianity in Africa: From Antiquity to the Present” by Elizabeth Isichei
- “West African Christianity: The Religious Impact” by Lamin Sanneh
- “Christianity in Africa: The Renewal of a Non-Western Religion” by Kwame Bediako
- “Christianity in Independent Africa” edited by Edward Fashole-Luke, Gray, Hastings, and Godwin Tasie
- “The Art of Conversion: Christian Visual Culture in the Kingdom of Kongo” by Cecile Fromont
B. Caribbean Church History (“Caribbean Christianity”)
- “Christianity in the Caribbean: Essays on Church History” by Armando Lampe
- “Come Shouting to Zion: African American Protestantism in the American South and British Caribbean to 1830” by Sylvia R. Frey and Betty Wood
- “The Catholic Church in Haiti: Political and Social Change” by Anne Greene
- “Troubling of the Waters” edited by Idris Hamid
- “With Eyes Wide Open” edited by David I. Mitchell
*** Every day is Black History Month.
Every day we celebrate human beings created in the image of God.
Every day we celebrate the gift of life and the gift of black life because black people and all people MATTER to God.